5/27/2009

Getting to the Point

I had a great experience today @ work that I wanted to share. Today we learned about a new personality test known as Enneagram. I've had past experiences with Myers-Briggs and the DISC model, but never heard of Enneagram until today. So what is it?


The word Enneagram is of Greek origin and refers to a diagram with nine points or lines. "Enneagram" is the name of the system of knowledge as well as its symbol (see picture to right).

There are 9 Enneagram types and each represents personality and characteric types that are said to be about what type of person you are @ birth. It's not so much about what you've become, rather giving you insight into the true type of person you are, very close to your core being.

From my experiences today, you can realize for each Enneagram type what types of values,
innate strengths, potential liabilities, preferred and challenging work settings, and work styles you prefer just to name a few. This was an eye opener to see what type I was and what type my fellow team members were so that I can use this for my personal growth and to help when coaching my directs or dealing with others like my wife and kids.

I'm definitely going to reach out and learn more and I recommend if you haven't heard of
Enneagram that you do some research and take a free online test to see where on the 9-point scale you fall.

BTW, I was a 3-The Achiever. I'm testing the wife tonight to see if we share a connection in the
symbol :)

Think about your day, reflect, and put your energy into making tomorrow better @ work, @ life!
Jason

2 comments:

Mike Phelps said...

It often amazes me how few companies today use tools like this to better understand the "Core" of an employee. I found this tool and reading very insightful and am curious how these results will compare to the results of other personality assesments I have used in the past. It is often the underlying non-spoken things can have significant impact of personal/work life. Short term people can mask what behavior they think is expected of them, but in my opinion, long term we truly demonstrate who we are. This applies to both work and personal life equally.

Excellent tool and read! Thanks for sharing!

Jason Ballard said...

Thanks Mike for your feedback. I totally agree with your comment.